In the depths of winter, we often gravitate towards comfort food, sometimes at the expense of our vegetable intake. So, we caught up with someone who knows all about good fruit and vegetables, Jenny Smith from Foodbox, to get one of her favourite winter salad recipes.
Jenny’s beautiful beetroot salad
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 1 large bowl
- 2 beetroot, peeled, chopped and roasted until soft (around 30 minutes)
- Half a bag of spinach (75 grams), you can also swap spinach for baby silverbeet or lettuce, if using silverbeet, toss the leaves in olive oil to soften and reduce bitterness
- Fresh coriander
- 2 oranges
- 50 grams feta
- A handful of walnuts
- 1 avocado
Transform this salad into a full vegetarian meal with these optional extras:
- Lemon or orange-based vinaigrette (Jenny’s recipe is available here)
- Peel, chop and roast the beetroot at 200°C for around 30 minutes, or until it’s soft
- Peel and dice the oranges, rinse the green, chop the avocado
- Roast walnuts in the oven for five minutes with the beetroot at 200°C
- Fry falafel if using these
- When the beetroot is cooked, combine with the greens, oranges, avocado, and walnuts in a large bowl
- Crumble feta over the top
- Tear coriander and sprinkle over the salad
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the bowl.
As a full vegetarian meal, serve with falafel, hummus and natural yoghurt and cucumber on the side. It also pairs well with red meats, particularly lamb. Or, eat it on its own as a veggie-packed lunch option.
Benefits of beetroot
About Jenny Smith
The information in this article has been compiled from various sources and is intended to be factual information only. It is not personal advice and any description of an insurance product or service is not a complete description of all the terms and conditions applicable to the particular insurance product or service. You should consult a qualified adviser for advice on whether the information in this article is suitable for your personal situation and needs. While we take reasonable steps to ensure that the information contained in this article is accurate and up-to-date, it is subject to change without notice. Asteron Life Limited and its related companies does/do not accept any responsibility or liability in connection with your use of or reliance on this article.